Michael David Battle, a black female-to-male (FTM) trans maan, who has been documenting his transition online is currently compiling an anthology of stories with the working title, “Here, Our Voices: The Black Trans-Identified Experience.”
We are looking for original, well-written personal essays, memoirs, or stories that are based on autobiographical experiences. The narrative must be in first person. Other than that, the contest is open to any type, genre or style of story. Stories can be funny or sad, serious, artsy or fragmented. We are interested in pushing the boundaries of memoir and also in just regular memoir that doesn’t try too hard–so long as it moves us. This contest is open to any writer of any age. Anyone from any country can submit an essay, so long as it’s written in English.
The deadline for submission to Here, Our Voices: The Black Trans-Identified Experience is Thursday May 31st, 2012.
Themes and Categories
Michael is currently accepting writing submissions for the anthology from black trans persons in the following categories:
- Breaking Gender Binaries
- Work and/or School
- The authors of the best writing for each category will be highlighted in the book and will have a photograph and short bio on the inside cover of the finished book
- All contestants should be Black trans-identified persons
- All entries must be accompanied by the Black Trans Experience — Writing Contest Entry Form; any submission without the form will not be considered for publication
- All entries should be accompanied with the $15 entry fee
- Multiple submissions are welcome, however, an additional $10 is required for each additional entry
- Entry must be previously unpublished (which includes websites and blogs)
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, however, if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere, you need to let us know immediately that you are withdrawing your submission.
- All forms of writing (poetry, prose, essay, etc.) are acceptable
Important Technical Details
The title page should include the following:
- Title of the story
- Chosen theme/category (per above)
- Your full name, and whether you want your name to be withheld
Make sure your entry follows the outlined specifications:
- The title of the manuscript should appear on every page.
- All pages should be numbered
- Entry should contain no more than 2,000 words
- Entry should be submitted in either RTF or DOC format ONLY, and as an attachment.
- Winners will be announced on August 1, 2012. We will announce them by e-mail and on our website.
Visit the Official Site for More Information
Remember, the deadline is Thursday May 31st. Good luck!